Business administration takes stellar organizational and communication skills. Using these 8 essential business administration tips will help any office reach optimum efficiency:
- Schedules: Leaving assignments and tasks up in the air will only create chaos. Every task and assignment should be given a deadline in order to allow for a) accurate, timely completion and b) define expectations. Schedules that are well managed allow for the tracking of jobs and assignments and help identify when and by whom tasks were performed. Schedules improve time management and office efficiency.
- Accurate Records: Records are the key to an efficient work environment. Whether dealing with patient records in a medical office or permits for a renovation company, accurate records in a logical, well maintained filing system is a must.
- Back-ups: Electronic files should be backed-up daily and paper work should be kept in a safe and secure area. A policy should be in place for how long records should be kept in accordance with law where applicable or just as a general office policy.
- Job Descriptions: Job descriptions are imperative for all team members. It is also recommended that tasks are assigned to a specific person who will be accountable for the completion of the task. Shared duties are common, but it is important that no one person is carrying the burden of shared duties.
- Proofread: As a basic rule of professionalism, proofreading is essential to good communication. Email is making business communication a little more challenging as we fire off emails with little thought. Always proofread all communication thoroughly from invoices to memos and job offers to employee notes in common areas.
- Procedure Manuals: Procedure manuals for office and administration tasks work wonders for keeping things consistent and making sure important steps are not missed. Manuals should be kept up to date and given to all new employees during training.
- Policies: Company policies help set the mood of the office and avoid any unwanted misconduct. Defining email etiquette, use of internet during work hours, times for lunches or breaks and how the phone is answered helps maintain a sense of professionalism.
- Purchase Orders: Setting up a purchase order system will keep people from over spending. Signing authorities must also be established and budgets put in place.
Using these business administration guidelines will help contribute to office efficiencies and also establish policies and procedures that all staff can use while doing their jobs.